The other day it hit me – hard. I was reminiscing on my own journey, the many ups and downs that lead me to becoming a life coach. I felt a tug in the corner of my mind, a little pull of a string I thought I had severed a long time ago. Some lessons we learn only fade as we have to constantly work at them.
There’s this common thread I’m seeing, tying me and most of my clients together. One commonality among the vast variations that make up each individual – self sacrifice vs self love. A lot of us choose self sacrifice, believing self love is inconsiderate or uncaring – kids come first, family comes first, friends, work, people we hardly even know come first.
This mindset is crippling. It’s ingrained in us, as mothers, as sisters, as daughters, as women we are “supposed” to take care of others.
Truthfully, we are meant for more – we are meant to take care of ourselves, too. And I think, that comes first.
Sometimes we get so lost in other people, we start to crumble.
How do you find self love when your world is falling apart?
What happens if we like being the caregiver?
Are you saying what I feel I am meant to do is wrong?
Not at all. Your path is your own and however you choose to live it is your choice.
Being a caregiver is amazing, wonderful work, but I believe you come first, always.
Solid ground, good nurturing earth is needed for anything to grow.
You must feel whole in order to give.
Okay, but what happens if you don’t know how to be “whole”?
My simple answer to that is: The Self Love Latte.
As silly as this seems, you are going to craft yourself the frothiest, dreamiest self love latte you’ve ever experienced and you are going to sip on that deliciousness every single day!
You probably know my obsession with oat milk lattes (and if you don’t… you will soon.)
It’s probably the simplest, best thing ever to make.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- A fantastic espresso
- A good quality oat milk (they are NOT all created equal)
- A frother
- If you’re into sweeteners or syrups, toss that in, too
- Whipped cream? Go for it. We only live once!
There you have the most perfect oat milk latte.
Now, let’s chat about this self love latte. Let’s talk ingredients:
What are the things that make your heart beat triple time?
What lights you up like the 4th of July?
What really makes you happy?
Here are a few things on my list to help you get started:
- Daily workouts
- Fueling my body with good, nourishing foods
- You guessed it….oat milk lattes
- Walks along the lake with my dog
- Getting my hair done
- Solo vacations
- Trips to the mountains
- Exploring somewhere new with my girls
- New workout clothes
- Learning something new
- A clear mind – deep breathing. Think – inhale 1 2 3 4 5 hold 1 2 3 4 5 exhale 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.
- An open heart – meditation helps with this one.
- A calendar/planner – you have to have somewhere to write down your goals, trips, appointments! Pen to paper is a powerful tool.
Possible add ons:
- An accountability buddy – “You check in on me, I check in on you. We’re in this together.”
- A life coach – Hey, hi – that’s me and I’m here to help. Wanna see if coaching is your next best step? Click here to book a free consultation. <3
It kinda seems simple now, doesn’t it? I mean, typed out like this – it definitely seems so.
In real life? No way. It is hard to change habits, hard to form new truths about yourself.
Do more of the things you love because you love them.
You are giving your soul the things it craves and without even noticing it, you begin to love yourself, you begin to put you first.
Girl, sip that latte and feel how you just flourish, blossoming into this being of light and love. I promise you that your devotion to yourself will not diminish the growth of others, rather the opposite. When you are living your very best life, so too will the ones you care about. They too will bloom and that, my beautiful friend, is how we create a better world.
Well! What are you waiting for?!
Go make yourself a latte and sip sip sip, every damn day.