I had a conversation with one of my girlfriends recently. We chatted about the ups, the downs, and all of the craziness in-between. She confessed she was really struggling. From keeping up with the kids, being a wife, and working full time, she felt like somewhere along the way in the mess of 2020, she had lost herself. I sat and listened to her, gave her the space to just be as she was in that moment as I told her, “Make a list of everything that lights your heart and sparks your soul. Make a list that brings nothing but pure joy. Really think. What leaves your entire being smiling?”
We can all relate to my friend, especially right now. Globally, we are in a time of instability; our world has been shaken to its very core. It’s natural, normal, to feel these vibrations reverberating into our own little spheres-but what if instead of focusing on everything that is going wrong right now, we focused on the good? What if we let go of the things we simply cannot control and focused on what we can?
What if we took the reins of our own world and instead letting the choice to be afraid or scared or angry be made for us, we chose to be content and strong instead? What if we chose to spark our own light?
Take a moment. Think about the last time that you sat down and asked yourself, “What can I do today that will bring me joy?”
It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? Maybe even so long that you’ve forgotten what those things are or maybe you’ve changed, became someone different, someone who longs for something your former self never dreamed would make you happy.
Take pause and think.
What do you gravitate towards when you have a free moment to yourself? Lean into that. Why do you feel called towards that activity, or person, or idea? What ignites this passion?
This year has passed in the blink of an eye. Anyone else feel like it was just March? And now we are heading into the final months of the year. We are living in challenging times, you may be feeling like you won’t ever find that spark again. But my friend, you are wrong. There is still so much in this world to be happy about, so much more to discover, so much more to spark your soul.
I’m challenging you to start to find it, again or maybe, for the first time. Take 5 minutes to put you first. 5 minutes to write anything and everything that pops into your mind and puts a smile on your face. Anything and everything-from something silly your kid told you to booking that vacation (I mean, for reaaaaal. Let’s dream big, sister!)
Here are a few of mine to get you started.
- That first sip of coffee in the morning standing on my front porch staring at the sunrise.
- Real belly laughs with my kids…..they drive me nuts but the personality on these little humans of mine is crazy. And their laughs are so infectious.
- Vacations with the fam…..we are heading north to see my sister get married and I’m smiling ear to ear about it.
- Rolling through my favorite coffee shop drive thru and them handing me my oat milk latte without me ever having to say a word. They know me oh so well and are pretty much my hero every single morning.
- Muay Thai…..if you’ve ever been interested in a combat sport or learning self defense, this is my most favorite. I practice 3 days/week and it’s something I look forward to every single week. If you’re in the Tampa Bay area, head to Tampa Muay Thai to check them out. Seriously.
- Learning something new. I am a forever student. I took a total of 8 courses throughout quarantine. If I’m not in learning mode, I feel stuck and I always want to be moving forward. If not a course, I highly encourage you to pick up a book and learn something new.
- Comfy leggings or sweatpants…..if you know me well, you know I basically live in yoga pants. Once upon a time I was too self conscious to wear anything form fitting but these bad boys are my fave. If you’re looking for leggings that feel like buttah, hit up Lululemon. Pricey but my absolute favorites.
- Speaking about owning your freaking magic. I can talk about it for days. We are so gosh darn hard on ourselves that we forget who the heck we were before society told us who we are supposed to be. Own that magic, girl. And if you need a little support, let’s chat.
- My crazy, crazy pups. Marley and Luna. What I did pre dog mom, I don’t even know. They can brighten my face on even the darkest of days.
- Reels (if you’re on Ig, you know!)…..they are sort of bringing me this crazy, joyful, playful side and I’m just having so much fun with it. If you aren’t following along, come join the fun right here.
I could keep going because really once you start, it’s hard to stop-the happiness ball starts rollin’ and you are reminded just how much joy and light and passion is actually in your life right in this very moment!
And now, it’s your turn. Write down the things that bring a smile to your face. What lights you up? What excites you? Write it all down. No holding back. Then, this is the important part, pull out your calendar and schedule it. Take action! Make the choice. Commit. Scheduling these micro moments of joy is telling yourself that you, in fact, are WORTH IT! I promise you won’t regret doing this.
While you’re scheduling all this joy back into your life, try to find 20 minutes a day to yourself. If you can’t commit to daily right now, try every other day. By fueling your life with more passion and happiness, you will find that even during the difficult, messy moments you will be showing up with a fuller heart and able to handle things with a stronger soul-and that is something to get pretty excited about.